“If you can’t say something nice about someone, come sit next to me.”
What do You do?
We are at a networking event; you come up to me smiling and ask me what I do. I immediately make an excuse and spend the rest of the time in the toilets. This is how much I loathe this question.
I’m a polymath for sure, I love doing lots of things and my knowledge and learning is wide and far-reaching.
WHAT I DO OFTEN DEPENDS ON WHERE I AM
- I’m an imaginer – my first job ever was at Disney World. I’m obsessed with positivity and creativity and the difference it can make in the world.
- I’m an investigator – I spent 10 years in the police and have a thirst for facts, evidence and the real truth.
- I’m an innovator – I spent 28 years working with young people and predicting possible future trends.
- I’m an experienced truth-seeker (10 years in the police)
- I’m a knowledgeable youth expert (28 years in youth participation)
- I’m an ardent creative (10 years finding creative solutions and 5 years creative visual storytelling)
- I’m an accidental Futurist (Over 15 years consulting with companies on future trends)
- … and a life-long lover of breaking the rules, ignoring societal norms and busting bias.
- I’m also a book lover, a TV/Film addict and an Instagram mother
AND THE LONGER FORM ANSWER IS: (IT’S OK TO LEAVE NOW OR JOIN ME IN THE TOILETS)
- I bust biases, challenge the status quo and investigate new ideas, future possibilities and perspectives.
- I help people think differently about themselves, each other and society and as a whole.
- I devise and implement highly imaginative concepts, re-examine public statements and discover the truth, so people can cause amazing things to happen.
- I get you out of your own way so that you can see new ideas, possibilities and innovative solutions and make great things happen.
- I encourage creative thinking, deeper understanding and modern, thoughtful ways to solve problems.
- I ensure that those solutions will work by making sure there are no assumptions made of what is needed and that anything implemented is done so with a deep understanding and a proper needs analysis.
Let’s get another drink, shall we?
How do you do it?
- At heart, I’m an Investigative Behaviourist (Truth seeker). I am the person always asking why. My early days in the police and Walt Disney World made me obsessed with human behaviour and I learnt to quickly analyse situations and predict the most probable outcome. I still do this all the time (even in the queue at the supermarket) but most of my work is aimed at young people/Generation Z. My desire to get to the truth and predict possible future outcomes led me to develop a framework for behavioural change, which I have successfully used for over 20 years.
- Some call me a futurist because I tend to predict trends before they happen. I’m always asking what’s next and get overwhelmed with the creative possibilities I see before us. I love social media as a creative outlet and have supported my own daughter to create a career for herself as a content creator. We started a business training publishers and authors for the next wave in publishing, all before she was 21.
- I’m also a mind changer (note that I did not say mind reader, but I’m pretty good at that too). I’m obsessed with social norms and the cognitive biases we all hold. I have a fresh and new perspective on most things and you will often find me out there by myself, spouting an unpopular opinion. I don’t do this to be rebellious (although I am); I do it to make people think differently.
- I’m a creative who loves to innovate. It has taken me years to admit to this but I am a creative soul, an ideas factory who seems to always be one step ahead of the game. You can witness this in the creative business I run with my daughter.
- I’m also a huge TV and film addict, which on the surface doesn’t seem important until I tell you that I am trained in Cinema Therapy. I believe in the power of visual story telling as a catalyst to change hearts and minds and I often use the archetypal patterns in film-making in my work.
SO NOW YOU CAN SEE WHY I’M HIDING IN THE TOILETS – I DON’T FIT INTO A BOX, I CAN’T SUCCINCTLY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION OF WHAT I DO AND FURTHERMORE, WHAT AM I DOING AT THIS NETWORKING EVENT ANYWAY?
Where and When
I am based in the UK but have and do work worldwide. Location is not an issue and a lot of my work is done over Skype.
I prefer to be involved at the beginning of projects as my framework makes sure you are asking the right questions in the first place, however, I am a great problem solver and I don’t panic in a crisis.